How to pay your rent

There are a lot of easy ways to pay your rent:

  • Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay, as your money comes automatically from your bank account (providing you have adequate funds in your account), so you do not need to do anything once you have set this up. Set up your direct debit now using the Direct debit form [pdf] 61KB
  • Pay online via Allpay
  • The Allpay App for your phone or tablet.
  • Call Allpay to make a telephone payment 0844 557 8321.
  • Post Office or Pay Point in a local shop with your Allpay card.
  • Standing Order: Set up your standing order with your bank or building society so that the money comes automatically from your bank account, (providing you have adequate funds in your account) download a standing order form here Standing Order Form [pdf] 71KB

Rent arrears

It is our policy to take firm action against any Tenant/Licencee or Leaseholder who does not pay their rent or who fails to keep to agreements to repay the amounts they owe.

We offer independent advice through the Citizens Advice Bureau via our Debtsmart Service. This service provides support for people who are struggling to meet their rent payments and may have other debts. Staff within the Housing Services Team will make referrals to our Debtsmart service throughout the course of the arrears process. For more information on Debtsmart, click here.

Christian Action Housing has a strict policy and procedure on rent arrears that its staff must follow. If you would like to read the policy, please click here.

Notice of Seeking Possession

This is the first stage of legal proceedings; the Association can apply to Court following the services of a Notice Seeking Possession. This Notice is a formal legal warning that Christian Action Housing will issue Court proceedings after 28 days have passed. If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession you are strongly advised to contact your Income Officer to discuss this and make an arrangement to clear the arrears.

At the Court Hearing

We will request that a Possession Order is granted - this will only be suspended on condition that you pay your rent on time together with an extra agreed amount to reduce or clear the arrears. In certain cases we can ask for an immediate Outright Possession Order. In either case, we will ask the Court to order you to pay our cost of application.

From then on - you must keep to the terms of the Possession Order.


If you break the terms of the Possession Order or if we are granted an Immediate Possession Order, we will apply to have the Court Bailiff evict you from your home. Your Housing/Income Officer will contact you personally by visiting or telephoning to give you the opportunity to explain your circumstances and to arrange to clear your arrears. It is therefore very important that we have up to date details for you.

We will, at all stages, advise you to keep in contact with your Housing/Income Officer and inform you of your right to seek independent advice about your situation. 

Legal Action to Recover Arrears

The Association will not normally take legal action against tenants who are trying to regularly reduce their rent arrears; but if they owe substantial amounts and have not reached an agreement to re-pay, or have broken the agreement made, the Association will begin legal action in the County Court to repossess your home.

It is very important that you contact your Income Officer as soon as you receive any communication from the Association about your arrears and especially if you have been served with a Notice of Seeking Possession or letters about legal proceedings.

Rent and service charges explained

When should I pay my rent?

In line with your tenancy conditions, rent should be paid a week in advance. If you have a monthly tenancy, your rent will be due a month in advance.

If you decide to pay your rent monthly, the amount that you need to pay will depend upon whether you pay every four weeks, or every calendar month. Please ask your Housing/Income Officer how much you need to pay.

How much should I pay?

If you have been a tenant for less than a year, you can find your rent and/or service charges on your Tenancy Agreement. If you have been a tenant for over a year, you will have been sent a notification of the revised charges, which are implemented every April.

How will I know about any changes in the rent?

Your Tenancy Agreement explains how often your rent can increase. We will always give you at least four weeks' notice in writing of any rent increase.

Assured tenancies/assured shorthold tenancies, licences, rents and leases are reviewed yearly in April.

Secure tenancy rents are registered by the independent Rent Service every two years.

What does my rent pay for?

Christian Action Housing Association is a registered charity that aims to charge affordable rents. The rent that you pay goes towards:

  • Carrying out repairs and improvements to your home
  • Managing your home
  • The cost of building or developing the homes
  • Helping pay back loans used to modernise older homes and build new ones.