Universal credit and welfare reform

welfare reform warning sign
The welfare reform changes such as Universal Credit, bedroom tax, benefit cap and council tax benefit cuts can all affect your entitlement.

A new payment system known as "Universal Credit" has been introduced as part of the Welfare Reform Act.

Universal Credit replaces a number of benefits including Housing Benefit with one single monthly payment for your household. 
Payments are made to you  monthly and in arrears. Universal Credit currently applies up to the age of 60 years and 6 months.

What benefits does it replace?

Universal Credit will replace the following payments:

•    Housing Benefit
•    Income Support
•    Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance

Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
•    Child Tax Credit
•    Working Tax Credit

If you receive universal credit your Housing Benefit will no longer be paid directly to us, it will be paid straight to you. This means that you will become responsible for paying your rent on time.

For more information about Universal Credit, click here.


Footer logos

The Foyer Federation's Homepage  National Housing Federation's Homepage HouseMark Logo's Homepage