Rent arrears

Two People Talking

It is our policy to take firm action against any Tenant/Licencee or Leaseholder who does not pay their rent or who fails to keep to agreements to repay the amounts they owe.

We offer independent advice through the Citizens Advice Bureau via our Debtsmart Service.  This service provides support for people who are struggling to meet their rent payments and may have other debts.  Staff within the Customer Services Team will make referrals to our Debtsmart service throughout the course of the arrears process.  For more information on debtsmart click here.

Christian Action Housing has a strict policyand procedure on rent arrears that its staff must follow.  If you would like to read the policy please click here.

Notice of Seeking Possession

This is the first stage of legal proceedings. The Association can apply to Court following the services of a Notice Seeking Possession. This Notice is a formal legal warning that Christian Action Housing will issue Court proceedings after 28 days have passed (14 days in exceptional circumstances). If you receive a Notice of Seeking Possession you are strongly advised to contact your Customer Services Manager to discuss this and make an arrangement to clear the arrears.

At the Court Hearing - we will request that a Possession Order is granted - this will only be suspended on condition that you pay your rent on time together with an extra agreed amount to reduce or clear the arrears. In certain cases we can ask for an immediate Outright Possession Order.  In either case, we will ask the Court to order you to pay our cost of application.

From then on - you must keep to the terms of the Possession Order.

Eviction - if you break the terms of the Possession Order or if we are granted an Immediate Possession Order we will apply to have the Court Bailiff evict you from your home. Your Customer Services Manager will contact you personally by visiting or telephoning to give you the opportunity to explain your circumstances and to arrange to clear your arrears.  It is therefore very important that we have up to date details for you.

We will at all stages advise you to keep in contact with your Customer Services Manager and inform you of your right to seek independent advice about your situation. 

Legal Action to Recover Arrears

The Association will not normally take legal action against tenants who are trying to regularly reduce their rent arrears. But if they owe substantial amounts and have not reached an agreement to re pay or have broken the agreement made, the Association will begin legal action in the County Court to repossess your home.

It is very important that you contact your Customer Services Manager as soon as you receive any communication from the Association about your arrears and especially if you have been served with a Notice of Seeking Possession or letters about legal proceedings.

Footer logos

The Foyer Federation's Homepage  National Housing Federation's Homepage HouseMark Logo's Homepage