Back to the list

I Want To Make Improvements To My Home, Do I Need To Ask Permission?

You have the right to carry out improvements to your home.  However, if you want to carry out improvements or alterations, you must get our permission in writing before you start any work. You may also need other approval, such as planning permission from the council. You can fit things such as TV aerials and satellite dishes with our permission (these may need planning permission) but they are your responsibility.

If you want to carry out any other kind of improvement (for example, fitting your own central heating, gas fire or shower units), these become our property once fitted. You cannot remove them if you move. If you have replaced existing fixtures, you must return these to us. We are not able to refund the cost of carrying out the improvement but we will take over responsibility for maintenance when we have inspected and approved the work.

We will not increase your rent as a result of any improvements that you make to your home.

At the end of your tenancy you may be entitled to compensation for some improvements that you have carried out, if they fall within the time period that we would have replaced them, but this would only apply to improvements that we gave you written permission for.

  1. My Home

Footer logos

The Foyer Federation's Homepage  National Housing Federation's Homepage HouseMark Logo's Homepage