Discretionary £150 Council Tax energy rebate

The government has asked councils to make one-off payments of £150 to eligible households between April and September this year. This is a part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs. The government are providing a £150 Council Tax energy rebate for households in property Bands A to D.

If you're not in a band A to D and still need help, there will be some further funding available to help households who do not qualify under this main scheme. When we have more information, we will publish the details here.

Find out more with the government's Council Tax rebate information leaflet (PDF).

The Council Tax energy rebate does not need to be repaid.

Council Tax energy rebate for Council Tax bands A to D

If you are a householder occupying a property in bands A to D on 1 April 2022, you will qualify for this energy rebate, unless the property is exempt, for example, because it is a second home or unoccupied.

You must be liable for the Council Tax bill at the property to be eligible for the energy rebate. If you receive 100% Council Tax reduction, you are still entitled to the energy rebate.

When and how will I receive the payment?Mandatory payments for (Bands A to D

and band E receiving Disability Relief)                       Date of payment

Step 1: Direct Debit payers                                              Between 5 May and 13 May

Step 2: Online applications are now open                       14 June - 1 July

Step 3: Post-Office cash voucher                                     July - end of August

Step 4: £150 credited to your Council Tax account        During September

Discretionary scheme stage To be confirmed but payments will be made by 30 November

Direct Debit payers

Residents who pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit will receive their energy rebate first. Once the first Council Tax payment for 2022/23 is paid, the council will use those details to process the payment straight into your bank account.

Payments were processed from 5 May. Those that paid their Direct Debit on the first of the month received their payment first.

The majority of Direct Debit payers have now received payment.

Payment will only be made if a successful instalment to pay your Council Tax has already been claimed and where the name on the Direct Debit bank mandate matches the name held on Council Tax records. If the name does not match, the council will contact you to let you know how you can receive payment using another method.

Non-Direct Debit payers

Apply online

Claim your £150 payment online

If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, the council should contact you from 14 June to invite you to claim your £150 payment online. The payment will be made to your nominated bank account.

The application closes on 1 July.

The council will be making pre-payment checks on the bank details you provide prior to making any payment. In some instances where they have not been able to complete these pre-payment checks, they will write to you shortly after your application has been processed and issue you with a Post Office cash voucher instead. This is to make sure you get the money as quickly as possible.

Please refer to the section below, “Online applications - why have my details not passed pre-payment checks?” to find out more information.

Post Office cash voucher

The council will also be offering Post Office cash vouchers where you will receive a voucher sent to you in the post which you can take to any Post Office to exchange for £150 cash. You will need to provide identification to the Post Office to obtain the payment.

If you choose not to apply online for your £150 payment, you will be issued a Post Office voucher once the online application window has closed.

Do I still need to pay my Council Tax Bill?

The energy rebate does not mean you don't need to pay your Council Tax bill - you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill by the amounts and on the dates shown on your bill.

Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme

If you're in band E to H, there will be some further funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme. When we have more information, we will publish the details here.

How will I know which band my property is in?

If you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill or Check your Council Tax band with the Valuations Office.

If you think your property Council Tax band needs reviewing, you will need to contact the Valuation Office, where you can Challenge your Council Tax band.

Please check your local council’s website for further information.

Enfield council- https://www.enfield.gov.uk/services/council-tax/council-tax-rebate

Haringey council- https://www.haringey.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/council-tax/help-paying-council-tax/council-tax-energy-rebate

Barnet Council- https://www.barnet.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-rebate-help-energy-bills/government-ps150-council-tax-rebate-scheme

Waltham Forest Council- https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/benefits-and-money-advice/help-and-advice/energy-bills-and-council-tax-rebate